Welcome to Say No To Dowry !!!

20130205

Dowry system....A social evil

By : Priyakshi


Here.... I am talking about a very much prevalent and a dreadful social evil.... DOWRY System. It has been huge problem in India and has been a great problem and source of embarrassment and disturbances in most parts of our society...

Dowry actually is a cultural system where the parents of the bride give away some money, expensive gifts to her so that in case of lack of resources she can lead a comfortable life ahead after marriage. Historically, this system was willingly followed by the parents of the bride in many parts of the world, but now at many places (especially in India) it is it is being forcefully asked for. Earlier the system was prevalent only in the wealthier families but now unfortunately the greed of dowry has struck to most ordinary families and has become an unspoken demand for marriages.

 

It is true that a young man may require financial support to settle comfortably in his life and to fulfill other needs, but it should not be a reason to ask for dowry and to spoil the life of a girl if both the girl and boy are capable in all the ways to earn and settle with a comfortable life. Gifts that a girl gets from her parents home should solely be their wish and there should be no pressure to spend more while marrying their daughter. There are many instances when a wife commits suicide, because of her helplessness to tolerate the harassment for dowry.

 There are many instances when a wife is murdered because her parents were not able to give enough dowry. This murder is usually made like an accident. Stop violence against women! Legally, dowry is a banned practice in India but still happens all over the place. Many sensible and educated youths have gone against the idea of Dowry and they simply have a noble intention of marrying the without taking any money. Surprisingly, these days the ladies are themselves very much interested for huge amounts of dowry. Firstly the promise of all the marriage arrangements and then the huge amounts of dowry make the parents financially very weak and because of dowry system, people no longer prefer having a baby girl in India.

Lastly I would just say that like I am strictly against this practice of dowry every one of us should join hands and remove this social evil from our society……

Take care and have a great time…..

8 comments:

avni said...

I am a 27 years old woman with a 498a and 406 case running in the court of law. After my marriage, I was told that my in-laws and husband didn’t want a working wife. I scarified my education and career for the wellbeing of a family life. Eventually, my in-laws and my US return husband started torturing me so that I should ask my father (who is a retired army personal, retired in 2000) to repay the 16 lacs of loan taken by my husband for his education in the US. When I didn’t agree to this my in-laws and husband put my jewelry on mortgage without my permission and never gave those back to me. All the paper work are present in the Banks to prove that they had taken the jewelry loan. The gold jewelry costs 7 lacs. For a retired army personal belonging to the middle class its quite a huge amount. When I asked for the jewlry my hand was broken. I was not allowed to talk to my parents. I didn’t have a phone. My plaster was removed early than prescribed by doctor so that I could do the house hold stuff. My hand has thus ben deformed permanently.

When you say that by putting a case of 498a, brides try to harass in-laws and husbands, let me tell you what happened to me. The officials who was supposed to do an investigation, SUPPORTED MY IN-LAWS completely. During the seizer day, my maternal uncle-in-law pulled me out of the house, pulled me by the broken hand, INFRONT OF THE POLICE, and no one came to help. Despite making a mention of all the jewlry in the FIR, the only things I was given in the name of stridhan were a couple of sarees and petticoats and blouse. Of course, the expensive sarees were not given (may be my mother-in-law is saving it for her next daughter-in-law. )

My husband’s bail has been rejected and he should ideally be behind bars, but he is enjoying his wrok in a Noida based IT company. The police being aware of his whereabouts are not arresting him. His parents visit him often and are sightseeing around Delhi. And the IO calls my father and me at regular interval to know about the where about of my husband. Despite he having all the knowledge, he really didn’t do anything. Me and my family is being humiliated, harassed, and of course, my father’s honestly earned money has gone for a toss, including my education and career. All the proofs are there but there is no one willing to listen or assist. NOW TELL ME…whom should I cry out for help?

May be we celebrate a high profile Women’s day in our nation, But we indeed are a nation where the woman is being tortured, harassed, abused, Yet she is considered good only if she remains quite about it. She is supposed to stay quite till she is burnt alive and the nation will do a candle light march for her. If she opens her mouth in protest ,being alive she is termed as a Bitch. SHAME ON US!!!

Antony Stanley said...

Shame on those who take dowry!

Anonymous said...

Anvi, your story is so resent and genuine. I am in shock that such things go on in India in the year 2013. I am so sorry for your pain and the wrong that has been done to you. Thank you so much for sharing your story and helping me to better understand your situation.

Anonymous said...

avni im happy that u are brave enough to protest .that courage needed in women for all

Anonymous said...

just bcz of dowry many people kill their daughter after her worth..

Rekha said...

money, needs are never fulfilled from other's money, it can be fulfilled by our work and money so don't demand for money in marriage just ask her the girl to come with lots of bless and happiness. And our indian methodology says girl is the form of goddess lakshmi. So don't demand for physical lakshmi just ask for real lakshmi..:-

Anonymous said...

your article is very nice...
n it is true as well

Anonymous said...

Oh what an evil....!!
In fact the heart must be bought by selling his own heart... The love cannot be won by the wealth....
But..., What a pity...!! A deaf and blind society....!!!

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More